Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kowa 8x30 YF Porro

I spent the weekend using the Kowa 8x30 YF Porro binoculars

[url]http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/bird-watching-binoculars/kowa8x30mmyfporroprismbinoculars.cfm[/url]

I was asked to please try these and share my thoughts.

They are exceptionally good for the price. First impression was they should have been priced higher. So that is a good start.

The body quality is excellent. And they fit in the hand very well. They have a very good "grip" to them.

The twist-up eyecups got me into the sweet spot very easily. And a very generous eye relief of 20mm was nice.

The entire weekend was cloudy and dim, so they got a good rating on low light performance. Images are crisp and hold fairly well to the edges. Its still a hundred dollar binocular, but I found the lens quality to be well above average in this price range.

My only gripe was the focus wheel - its solid - almost a bit too solid. However, i found i got used to it quickly. Its not the buttery smooth focus that you see in higher end binoculars. I did find the little "grips" in the focus wheel actually helpful for fine tuning.

Overall, I think this is an exceptional birding binocular, or binocular for sporting events. Nice wide field of view, holds in the hand nicely and optics that are well above this price range in this class.
    My Binoculars
    --------------------
    Swarovski 10x42 EL Swarovision
    Canon 10x30 IS
    Canon 18x50 IS
    Vortex Viper HD 8x42
    Celestron Regal M2 22-67x100ED Spotting Scope
    Zhumell 10x42 Short Barrel
    Nikon Premier SE 8x32

I wasnt even aware that Kowa had anything in this price point! Also, i wanted to point out that i actually prefer a focus wheel with a more "stiff" action. I feel that you get a more precise focus this way rather than finding yourself over adjusting. i would take stiffness over a sloppy or loose focusing wheel any day of the week. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Working...
    X