X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding between 8x and 10x for binoculars

I get asked this question all the time. Should I go with the 8x binoculars or the 10x binoculars?

Regardless of what objective lens size you are thinking about - but lets say you are considering the 42mm variety.

Personally, I think 8x is almost always a better decision. There are so many more attributes you get

1. More field of view.
    2. Brighter image
    3. More stable image - less image shake
    4. Can be easier to locate an object into your field

The only advantage of the 10 is getting a little closer.

What do you think? Is it better to go with 8x or 10x if you are only going to invest in one high-end binocular.
    My Binoculars
    --------------------
    Swarovski 10x42 EL Swarovision
    Canon 10x30 IS
    Canon 18x50 IS
    Vortex Viper HD 8x42
    Celestron Regal M2 22-67x100ED Spotting Scope
    Zhumell 10x42 Short Barrel
    Nikon Premier SE 8x32

I grok and agree with your statements. I think it's human nature to want "More power, Scotty!" As a naturalist, birder, and hunter, I've long appreciated the fact that 8x will provide a brighter image than 10x in low light conditions. That's generally been the deciding factor in my binocular decision process.

Comment

This is a pure matter of personal opinion and the answer is greatly dependent on the type of application for the glasses. I personally enjoy the 10X binoculars myself. As long as you dont have issues with holding steady (parkinsons etc) you will have zero issues with image shake. You will have a slightly narrower field of view, but it is not really that noticable. Also, the only time you will get a noticibly brighter image would be during low/flat light situations. Im sure MOST people would recommend the 8X due to the facts that jmulek outlined in the original post. Again, this is just my 2 cents and i enjoy 10X.

Comment

I would agree with Incorrible1 the 8x magnification will always be a better choice me when birding/hunting. I would like to have more of a field of view from left to right rather than trying to really zoom in on the critter.
        Optical products I own-
        Vortex Razor 10x42 HD 2011/2012
        Swarovski 10x42 EL/ 10x25 Pockets
        Zeiss Diascope FL 20-60x85
        Vortex Razor Spotting Scope 20-60x85

I represent www.binoculars.com feel free to contact me at 1-866-912-9717 ext 14030 for any questions you might have.

Comment

Working...
        X